Don’t know if this is good news or bad news for Constance Wu, but she’s going to have to do at least one more season of the television show Fresh Off The Boat. Last week her sitcom, Fresh Off The Boat, was greenlit for a season six. Now, normally anyone working on the show would be happy with the news because it means one more year of paychecks. But Wu, who had a great last year, due to the success of Crazy Rich Asians, was not too thrilled. She had a role in an upcoming movie she wanted but, due to Fresh Off The Boat being renewed, she couldn’t secure it. She let the world know her frustration and she got a ton of backlash for her outburst. Constance Wu issued an apology but people were not having it.
This outburst and her worse backtracking with a weak apology were met with calls for her to be replaced on the show like Aunt Viv in Fresh Prince of Bel Air. This probably would have made Wu happy as she would have gotten to pursue her film career, but ABC Entertainment boss Karey Burke wasn’t having it.
According to Deadline, at the Disney press upfronts, Burke was asked about Wu, and she told the audience that there are no plans to replace Wu. “There’s been no thought to recasting Constance. We love what she does on the show,” she said. “I did actually know that Constance had another opportunity had Fresh Off The Boat not gone forward she would have pursued. But we never really considered not bringing back Fresh Off The Boat, it was just too strong. I’m going to choose to believe Constance’s most recent communication about the show that she’s happy to return and the cast and crew is happy to have her back.”
On May 10 on her social media accounts, Constance Wu went on a rant about how upset she was. On Twitter, she wrote that she was so upset that she was “literally crying.” When someone congratulated her on the renewal she snapped back, “No it’s not.”
Additionally, she went on Fresh Off the Boat’s Instagram account and in a now-deleted comment, she wrote “Dislike” on a post announcing the renewal.
She received a ton of backlash from social media calling her “disrespectful” and “ungrateful.”
Consequently, Constance Wu tried to clear things up by saying that the tweets were not about the renewal at all. But people were not buying the excuse because people had literal receipts of her writing that she did not like the renewal.
Another backlash resulted and this caused Constance to issue another statement. This time a long essay on why she was upset. First, she admitted that she was upset by the renewal because “it’s renewal meant I had to give up another project that I was really passionate about.” And this was followed up by the usual take of any celebrity caught in a backlash s**tstorm. She apologized, regretted what she said, said how much she loved the show and the crew, and stated her comments were “insensitive.” Pretty routine and all good, until the end. The end was just baffling.
Constance Wu ended her long apology letter with “It’s meaningful when you make the choice to believe women.” She attached her struggle in not being able to do movies to the MeToo movement, which has to do with sexual assault against women. What a head slap.
These words are my truth. I hope you hear them pic.twitter.com/l6SvbFcUlj
— Constance Wu (@ConstanceWu) May 11, 2019
Free Constance Wu anyways.